Over 50 Years of Excellence in Education 

School History

 

anniversary.png

St. Peter's Episcopal Montessori School is founded on two solid and long celebrated traditions, the Episcopal Church and the Montessori curriculum. The Episcopal Church evolved from the Church of England and held its first General Convention in the United States in 1785. Maria Montessori opened her first Casa dei Bambini in the early 1900's and spent the next 50 years developing her proven educational philosophy.

St. Peter's has a long and committed history in Phoenix's west valley. Our church and school were established in the early 1960's and grew and changed as the local community of Litchfield Park grew up around it. We've progressed from a one room building that served as the original all-in-one church, school and parish hall to our current campus which contains our beautiful church, Sunday school wing, parish hall, thrift store, multiple school buildings, and the newest addition--Celebration Hall.

MILESTONES

  • 1785 – Episcopal Church is established in the U.S.
  • 1907 – Maria Montessori opens her first “Children’s House”
  • 1929 - Dr. Montessori established the Association Montessori Internationale (AMI)
  • 1964 - St. Peter’s organized as a mission
  • 1965 – First modular structure erected at Sagebrush & Neolin on a loaned site
  • 1974 – Four acres is purchased in Litchfield Park/Modular building is moved onsite
  • 1982 – Main sanctuary, office, bell tower and columbarium are completed
  • 2001 – Nursery and Sunday School Classroom wing built
  • 2004 – Montessori School Building A is completed
  • 2010 – Montessori School Buildings B and C are added to the campus
  • 2011 – Montessori Elementary Program is established